Wednesday, July 26, 2006

End of racing season

So August marks the last month of the 2006 racing season for me. Although I have easily made standards to go to worlds which are being held in Holland in September, only so many athletes can go, and since I am the newest to arrive on the international front, and the team already has athletes on it that have never gone before, some one's gotta be left out right?

Anyway I am in no position to complain about the season I have had. After pulling my groin last summer I was not even sure if I'd be able to run 100% ever. For those who don't know what its like to have a pulled groin, just ask some one who does:( I've PBed at almost every meet I've ran in, crushed world standards, and set my self up for a great fall and winter training season.

Many people have asked me within the last 5 months how I was able to get so fast so quickly. I am not part of a club, and prefer that as I seem to train better by myself, than I do when with other people. Being visually impaired, people find this kind of odd due to me not being able to see where the hell I'm going.

I train at the W. Ross Mcdonald School which, A is probably one of the few reasons I am living here, and, B which is probably one of Brantford's more prominant landmarks being built like 130 years ago. They have an indoor and outdoor track facility there which is designed to allow for visually impaired people to use it. They also have a state of the art gym which it seems like I'm the only one that uses it, something else that I am not complaining about.

So I train there probably 4 to 5 times a week. Its been really hot this summer so finding time to go when I am not likely to pass out from heat exhaustion is kinda at a premium.

I also run trail runs. Brantford has a lot of trails around it, some are nice and others are just overgrown and not maintained. Anyway part of my problem as a visually impaired sprinter, is that I am fast, to fast for people to run with me:) Friends of mine all have bikes so 1 or two times a week, they'll just take their bikes out on those trails and I will run with them. Lol there is no better feeling than running past somebody on their bike who is going the same way your going:) I'm pretty sure we must get some stupid looks from cyclists as we fly by them. Good runners will tell you that they experience something called the "runner's high." Its a specific feeling that is provided by endorphins that are released by the body during a workout, and it is probably one of the best feelings one person can ever have.

So now that my racing season is coming to an end, I will be taking some time off to simply let my legs have a break. I have ran the past 8 months straight, and could use a break. A camp that I worked at last summer, the home of the dreaded groin pull incident, asked me if I'd be interested in volunteering up there for the month of September as they are short staff, and I'm thinking that that would be a perfect excuse for me not to run lol. A lot of friends of mine will probably be there for that month also so I will probably end up going.

All right this thing is long enough. I'm not usually one to ramble on about stuff, maybe Im just weird I dunno, people have told me that I am so who knows...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess and Jetta said...

And who would have told you that? lol That sucks about running, but there's always next year and your legs probably do need a break. Talk to you when I get back.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home